Do you know what to do if a Hail or Wind Storm occurs at your home?
Hail storms generally occur from late spring to late summer. Much of mid-America receives at least one damaging hail or wind storm a year. Some parts of the central US are called “Hail Alley,” which receive the highest frequency of large hail in North America and most of the world. Residents in these areas usually can count on three or four catastrophic (defined as at least $25 million in insured damage) hailstorms every year. As a result, up to one-half of your homeowners insurance premium may be going toward hail and wind damage costs. If you carry comprehensive coverage on your home policy, hail damage is covered by almost all insurance companies. Comprehensive insurance is optional, but if you live in a hail prone area the insurance industry recommends this coverage. If a Hailstorm Strikes:
Don’t go out in the storm to try to protect your property. You could be injured! After the hailstorm, assess the damage, checking trees, shrubs and plants around your house. If they are stripped of their foliage, there is a possibility that your roof is damaged. Check for damaged patio covers, screens or soft aluminum roof vents are dented, if so you most likely have roof damage as well.
***We don’t recommend that YOU climb up on your roof. Call us for a free damage assessment and we’ll do the dangerous work.
- Check your car for dents and broken or cracked glass.
- Call Quality TN Roofing anytime day or night and we will protect your property as necessary including tarping, protecting your property from further damage. This is all at no cost to you as we will be reimbursed by your insurance company.
- If you find signs that hail has battered your property, take immediate steps to protect it from further damage. Call us to cover any broken windows and holes in your roof so that no water can enter and damage your home’s interior. Cover any broken glass in your car to prevent damage to the interior from rain and remove glass from the car’s interior to prevent cuts in upholstery and carpet.
- File your claim. Roofing companies with insurance experience will have a claims manager with knowledge and skill to assist you with the claims process, all at no charge or obligation.
- Save receipts for any personal monies you spend.
- Select a reputable roofing company to make repairs and to help negotiate on your behalf with the insurance adjuster.
- Allow only the insurance adjuster and roofer you have selected to get up on your roof. Each time someone walks on it, more damage can occur.
- It’s a good idea to select a company with established credibility.
- Be sure roofers have the appropriate insurance required by the state and your local city. If they don’t, you may be held liable if one of the workers is injured or if they damage a neighbor’s property.